Admit it, when you either read or saw lembas bread in Lord of the Rings, you really wanted some.
There’s several recipes out there for it, but I made up a protein and fiber-rich version for the nerdy-lifter that I am. *Disclaimer* I’m still tweaking the amounts, so this may not be perfect but it’ll at least be a platform in which to launch your own version of lembas.
I used coconut flour as my base. Say wha? Yep, coconut flour is merely dried coconut meat ground up into a flour-like consistency. What’s so good about coconut flour? I’m so glad you asked!
Coconut Flour Fantastic-ness:
1. Very high in fiber, about 9 grams for 2 tablespoons, which is terrific for, well, the whole poop thing. Compare that to the fiber content of wheat flour, which is a dismal 1-2 grams… ick. Perfect for keeping you regular while traipsing through Middle Earth.
2. It’s gluten free which is helpful for those who have a gluten intolerance or allergy and still want to eat lembas. Or, even if you don’t, it’s nice to give your system a break from the gluten of bread and other gluten filled treats. (it’s everywhere…).
3. Contains the healthy fats of the glorious coconut. However, I’m not sure how much of it is actually retained in the flour version since it goes through a defatting process. Some of that fat is better than none though. This helps fuel long treks across Mordor. How else do you think Sam and Frodo made it? Not on fat-free Snackwell’s cookies!
4. Does not have the power to raise glucose levels like other flours (wheat, oat, etc) so those watching their blood sugar… rejoice! Steady blood sugar bodes well for sustained battles with orcs.
Now, onto the recipe. Sorry I don’t have pictures. I didn’t think to take any during the baking process.
- 1-1.5 cups coconut flour (depending on how big of a batch you want to make)
- 1-2 scoops protein powder-o-choice
- 1 somewhat-heaped tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
- Roughly 1 cup of almond milk (or regular milk). The amount will vary depending on the consistency of the batter you desire.
- 1 egg or 1 heaping tablespoon of nut butter. Coconut flour can be very dry, so the addition of either one will help cut that down a bit. Just know that the peanut butter will take away from the lembas-y taste. I doubt the real lembas had peanut butter in it.
- 1-2 tablespoons of agave or honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 275 and grease a cookie sheet.
2. Combine the dry ingredients, flour and protein powder, and break up any lumps with a spoon.
3. Add the coconut oil, egg (or PB), vanilla, and agave/honey and combine well.
4. Slowly add the milk until the consistency no longer resembles wet sand. It should be more clay-like or maybe slightly watery clay.
5. Spread evenly in pan and bake from 15-25 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
6. Allow it to cool before either gobbling it up or wrapping it in nice big leaves.
There we have it. A LOTR-inspired protein bar for the athlete or hobbit on the go!